Saturday, September 1, 2012

Assignment 1-4-3



Stereotypes
              Looking all around us people can be stereotypical. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? That can be a difficult question to answer considering who is talking or is being talked too. A person can be stereotyping without even knowing because that is just what they know or someone can do it to be sarcastic. Browne defined stereotypes as “the generalities of life cut down to a fine point concerning a particular subject and directed usually toward a special goal.” (2005) One thing with stereotyping is it can shield the truth which can be a good or bad thing. With videogames, stereotyping can happen within the plot or story of the game. One game that I will discuss is Mike Tyson’s Punch Out by Nintendo. The game shows different ethnic fighters and portrays a specific fighter in their own way. For example, the Japanese fighter that had a white bandana around his head or the French fighter that had no muscles and considered very weak.
Rituals
I think of rituals that are actions that take place before a certain event; dictionary.com defines it as “an established or prescribed procedure for a religious or other rite.” (2012) Instead of focusing on a specific video game for a certain ritual, I will discuss how I used to go over to my friends house when I was younger and play video games. When I was 14, Nintendo 64 was the latest video game system and I had the same games as my friend had. Whenever I went to my friend’s house, we would play a multiplayer game. It wasn’t so much that we did not know what we were going to do when I go there, it was how fast I could get into his house and we start playing Mario Kart 64 or 007 Goldeneye against each other. This basically became a ritual, the games would change but it was the same concept.  

References
Browne, R. B. (2005). Profiles of popular culture: A reader. Madison: Popular Press.
ritual. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged. Retrieved August 31, 2012, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ritual

No comments:

Post a Comment